The 5th Annual Boxcar Derby – March 23rd, 2013
It’s time to build cars and race again! The University of Michigan chapter of Phi Delta Theta and Ann Arbor Active Against ALS (A2A3) are looking forward to the Fifth Annual Boxcar Derby and Picnic to raise money for ALS (Lou Gehrig’s Disease) research. Pre-built cars will be available for teams to use if they choose not to build their own cars – but creative new cars are strongly encouraged!
SPECIAL NOTE! Please register by THURSDAY, MARCH 21st. LIMITED spots available for race day sign up! All PRE-REGISTRANTS will be automatically entered into a raffle for U of M football tickets!
Does your team want to raise money for A2A3? We will also be giving away 4 great seats to a Detroit Tigers vs. baseball game. Email email@example.com for pledge form.
• Saturday, March 23rd from 10am to 1pm
• South University between Oxford and Washtenaw (near the Phi Delta Theta house)
• Entrance fee for the race is $30 a team – each team is guaranteed at least TWO runs, so TWO drivers (or fewer) per team is suggested to allow everyone a chance to drive
• Picnic immediately following on the lawn of the Phi Delta Theta fraternity house at the corner of South University Avenue and Washtenaw
• Food and drinks available during and after the event
• T-shirts will be available for purchase one at the event
• PLEASE NOTE! Cars from past races will have to be modified slightly to work with the new starting ramp! Contact us soon for details and help with that.
CAR REQUIREMENTS FOR NEW AND OLD CARS (SO THEY WILL WORK WITH THE NEW RAMP) CAN BE FOUND HERE: 2013 CAR DETAILS
Check out photos of the new starting ramp (for safer, even starts), building of a car, and images from last year!
|Box Car Derby 2012 Ramp Trial|
The 2nd Annual Boxcar Derby Highlights
We repeated one of the most fun A2A3 events from 2009 – the Phi Delta Theta – A2A3 Boxcar Derby! Once again, University “kids”, elementary school kids, non-profits, and other kids built cars from kits and raced them at the Phi Delta Theta fraternity house. The weather, food, snacks, heart-pounding finishes and antics made it a perfect day that we hope to repeat again annually for years to come! The bar was set the first two years, with the Penguin car eeking out a 1st place finish in 2009. Message from the 2nd place pirate car driver: “Arrghh! Ar’ll be gggittin’ ye next yearrrrr… or elsHHE!” We’ll see! Many thanks to Phi Delta Theta (Lou Gehrig’s fraternity) for dreaming up the concept and for scrambling to make this event possible! Thanks also to our sponsors and to the City of Ann Arbor for their support!
Read all about the inaugural 2009 event in this story by the Ann Arbor Chronicle: Boxcars Zoom Down South University